I shall live badly if I do not write, and I shall write badly if I do not live.’ Francoise Sagan

Sunday 29 November 2020

Lola's Friendly Stag

  




A long time ago 

On a winter’s day

Your daddy and I 

Went out to play


As it was cold 

And there was snow 

We hoped to find 

An Eskimo


We’d heard they live

Where it is cold 

We weren’t sure where

As we hadn’t been told 


But though we searched 

Both high and low

We found no sign 

Of an Eskimo 


Just then we heard

A sudden sound

Like thundering hooves 

Upon the ground


And there before us 

In the wood

A friendly stag

Most proudly stood 


His branch-like antlers 

Held on high

His nose turned up 

Towards the sky 


He looked at us

With deep brown eyes 

His gentle face 

Filled with surprise


“Hello, dear ones”

We heard him say 

“I wasn’t expecting 

Any humans today” 


“This is my wood

But you may stay 

Just be careful where you play

So you don’t scare my friends away”


“Don’t worry, dear Stag”

Your daddy said

“We will remember what you’ve said

But may we pat you on the head?”


“Of course, dear chap”

The Stag replied 

“Just come closer

By my side”


We stood and stroked

His shaggy coat

The fur so soft 

Around his throat 


Until he said

“It’s time to go”

And leapt away

Into the snow 


Although we felt sad 

To watch him go 

We forgot all about 

The Eskimo!


No comments:

Post a Comment